What to Bring Sailing
• Click here to download and print a handy checklist.
• Show up promptly before the agreed departure time. Winds and tides wait for no one.
• Layer your clothing. Temperatures can change quickly at sea. A windbreaker is a good idea, as are sweat pants. If you have sailing gloves and a sail knife with a marlinspike and shackle key, bring them.
• Don’t wear street shoes on a boat. They’ll slip if the deck gets wet. Bring non-marking tennis or boating shoes that will grip fiberglass.
• Feel free to bring a camera since good photo opportunities abound.
• You don't have to worry about bringing your own personal floatation devices. Skippers by law are required to have one per person on the boat. Harnesses are a good idea to bring for overnight cruises in case water gets rough.
• Bring plenty of sunscreen and apply it often, even on cloudy days. A hat with a brim is a good idea, but remember to secure hats and sunglasses with lanyards.
• You don't need prior sailing experience to crew for Single Mariners, but you’ll be more likely to get invited back if you hone your sailing skills. It’s also helpful to master some basic terms so that if a skipper says “pull in the sheet” you don’t go looking for for a bed. While underway, ask somebody to show you basic knots which can be very useful, not only for sailing, but for other recreational activities.
• Remember to bring lots of water and a lunch that won't spill. Most skippers host an after sail wine and cheese party, so bring food and wine to share.Some skippers won't allow red wine on their boats, so be sure to check to see what the skipper's policy is.
• Most skippers in our club won't allow drinking underway, but that decision is left up to each captain.
Remember that Single Mariners meets the first and third Thursday of each month at 7:00 PM for socializing * followed by a light dinner. With its million-dollar view of the Marina del Rey boat basin, Pacific Mariners Yacht Club (PMYC) generously hosts the meetings at 13915 Panay Way Marina del Rey, California.